- Ferrous Sulphide sticks are widely used as a laboratory chemical for
the preparation of Hydrogen Sulphide gas, by famous KIPP'S apparatus
when comes in contact with dilute mineral acids.
- The Production Of Grey Iron-
In foundries, during electric melting, residual sulphur level decreases due to cleaner melting practices and the use of low sulphur steel scrap. It is found that iron does not readily respond to inoculants if Sulphur is below 0.04%. Then it is necessary to resulphurize by using Ferrous Sulphide to hold the level in 0.05% to 0.12% range.
- In Alloy And Stainless Steel Industries To Control Hydrogen
Embrittlement It is very convenient and economic to use Ferrous Sulphide
for resulphurization in these steels to hold the right level of 'S' and
ensuring not to drop 'S' level below 0.015% as these steels carry a
minimum sulphur specification.
- Production Of Free Cutting Steels
Ferrous Sulphide is used as a resulphurizing agent in the production of carbon, alloy and stainless types of free cutting steels.It acts as an alloying agent to improve machinability of steel castings which are used to manufacture various steel components. The range used is between 0.15 to 0.30 'S' contents. The 'S' contents in plain carbon steel is 0.05 max.
- In Electric Furnaces For Production Of Malleable
Sulphur in form of Ferrous Sulphide is added along with FeSi & FeMn to increase the 'S' contents of electrically melted iron.Addition of FeS influences white iron formation and obtain 'S' contents approximately 0.15%
- The Purification Of Crude Phosphoric Acid Ferrous Sulphide is used in cake form as a reducing agent to remove heavy metal impurities from phosphoric acid.